Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Unintended consequences

Recently I interviewed someone for a job I thought I couldn't do and that had parts I thought were worthy of a yawn. While listening to her speak, I was suddenly astounded at my excitement for a subject I had five minutes ago, found pretty much duller than a butter knife. She spoke about "development" (no, not film, fund raising and such) as if it were a whole world I had never visited. And now I wanted to! Suddenly, it was a language I wanted to learn, a vocabulary I longed to acquire. Suddenly, I knew what I wanted to be! I found myself wishing I had run across such excitement years ago so I could be the one doing this job. Another "ah ha" moment came along when the job candidate spoke about reinventing herself after her original dream had become obsolete with  advances in technology. This was it!! I was NOT too old, nor was it "too late". I had not missed the boat. There IS a way to reinvent myself and still use skills Iv'e acquired along the way. I've laid the foundation in what I've done for so many years and now it's time to build. The joy of finally finding a purpose is exhilarating. I can't wait to make my dreams, my BIG dreams come true!!
And all of this came from interviewing someone for a job I thought I never wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment