Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Don't cry for me Argentina

Ok, the title is hokey, but I always seem to leave a piece of my heart in the most unexpected places. Having recently visited Argentina with my beloved chorus, I can easily say that Argentina stole my heart. I was caught unaware and only realized as we were leaving, the way this South American country had drawn me into its soul. The country has so many sights, sounds, smells, and tastes. The tastes usually came in last place since being a vegetarian isn't easy in the land of beef. Despite that, I felt drawn to this place where the laughter, wine, celebration, is abundant way into the wee hours of the morning. During this whirlwind tour, we visited the cemetery in Buenos Aires where Eva Peron was buried,  (don't cry for me Argentina!!--I resisted the strong urge to sing out loud while standing there gazing at the plaque adorned with flowers),  took a trip to Uruguay and walked through a coastal town of Colonia, adorned with Southwestern Colors and a New England flavor. I could have gazed at the scenery forever. We toured the opera house and heard the most amazing soprano rehearsing. Her voice took my breath away and I found tears in my eyes. I had no idea what song she was singing, but it didn't matter. Her voice was not of this world. The Tango show, the estancia (ranch) all had lasting impressions (maybe it was the wine, but those were wonderful adventures). :)
Speaking of wine, we then traveled to Mendoza where wine is made and enjoyed a delicious wine tasting of the smoothest malbec I've ever tasted. Followed, was a lunch of delectable food. Onward we went to discover the city of Mendoza and the majestic Andes mountains that hover above. In snow up to our knees, we saw the most beautiful animals (guanacos--similar to llamas--and condors flying overhead. Sledding was included in this adventure and after being convinced to take part, I didn't regret it! There may or may not be a video with proof that my friend and I went sailing down a hill at top speed. Ahem.

Our last stop was the small city of San Juan. There we completed our singing tour with a festival that included choirs from all over Argentina, one from Germany, Uruguay, and us from the USA. So many people coming together for one purpose, melted my heart. This is the power of music, I thought. It transcends countries, languages, and all that matters are the harmonies that result from a sea of voices all around us. It's what really matters. As it says in the story of Miss Rumphius, "make the world more beautiful, make the world beautiful...." And she says "but I don't yet what I will do". I now know what I will do.

Incredible singing all along the way made this tour the best chorus trip I've been on in my 18 years in the chorus. The cloudy skies never quite gave way enough to see the stars, so I must return. Although I don't speak (much) Spanish, I need una oportunidad para contar estrellas. (an opportunity to count the stars). Argentina, I will return one day. I am humbled by your beauty and by your people who were so kind even when I spoke part Italian, English, and Spanish in the same sentence. As I said, a piece of my heart is still in Argentina, so please take care of it for when I return, I will leave yet another piece of myself there, I'm sure.

There aren't words sufficient to describe this experience, but I am glad I was able to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment