Thursday, June 8, 2017

Flex Hours and working at home

For the past 2 years, my main job affords me flex hours and I work at home. I've learned a lot from this. I am more relaxed when I know I just have to get the work done and there's no time frame during which I need to do it. I can work during my best, most productive working hours and not only am I happier, but the work is of much higher quality than it might be if I were forced to do it within a specific time frame or on days when I'm not feeling up to par. Yes, I have other jobs outside of the home, and yes, I do have to do part of my main job outside of the home as well. But all in all, I am more productive and feeling more successful.  

In addition to feeling and being more productive, my apartment is cleaner, neater, and more organized. I never have to spend hours cleaning because I've been out all week and only home to sleep. I can multi-task as well. For instance, I can do my laundry while working on a project. I can have a phone meeting while driving to meet a friend. I can also work anywhere--bonus if there's a wifi connection, but I can get work done in a coffee shop, a library, or even while visiting friends and family out of state. 

I am very lucky to have a job such as this one. It's very fitting for my circadian rhythms which make me a night owl and not a morning person. It challenges my Type A personality sometimes because my schedule is never the same twice in a row and can change at a moment's notice. I've learned that those are small prices to pay for the life I have now. By no means, do I live a perfect life, but I'm much happier than I was while teaching 20+ classes a week, having evening commitments, and just trying to keep my head above water. 

I am grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment