Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Loss

Another great composer has died. First Tormis in the Spring of 2017 and now Jeffers in the Summer of 2017. Both will be sorely missed in the choral world, but their music will live on in the hearts of many and on stages all over the world. I had the distinct pleasure of working with both of these men while singing in a Women's Chorus. Both were generous of heart, kind, funny, and extremely helpful. Without ever being negative, they both had a way of getting out of us exactly what they envisioned in their music. I am so honored and so lucky to have met both of these great composers in person.

Losing people in your life is never easy. It forces us to face our own mortality. It stares us straight in the eyes and reminds us that life is precious and fragile. Take every moment and savor it. Don't wish away the time because you are waiting for the next thing. 

Being slightly superstitious here, I worry about things happening in threes. There is one more composer and I won't mention his name (because superstition is strong) about whom I worry. He has a huge legacy and has created an enormous repertoire of music for the choral world. In the end, I know he will have left a legacy unlike many. I just hope the end isn't soon.

-Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment