Monday, July 25, 2016

The other side of purple part 4

Friday, June 24, 2016

Always have a plan (advice from a choral director)

Always have a plan. That's what my choral director said when there's a trouble spot in the music and you need to figure out how you're going to conquer it. In music, your plan may include counting, solfège, or a special way of remembering the interval (perfect fourth is "here comes the bride") or finding your entrance note is played in the piano just before you sing...or whatever. I didn't think until recently, that this tidbit of rehearsal advice really applies to all aspects of life. Always have a plan.

So I was thinking about my finances and the budget that I've attempted on many occasions to create. Never once have I managed to complete the budget before getting overwhelmed and filled with anxiety (numbers are not my thing and seeing my actual net worth or lack thereof, gives me hives) So I finally realized, I don't need a budget as much as I need a PLAN. In words. I wrote down my plans for saving money, my plans for paying off that credit card (note to self and others: you may be poor in grad school but NEVER NEVER think you can live off a credit card "just for a while" until you get back on your feet. By the time you're back on your feet, you'll still be paying off that sucker. SIGH) Lesson learned. Anyway, back to the plan. I found that writing out a financial plan in words, really helped me look at it more as "to do" list and not as a budget with too many numbers and humiliating evidence that I am up to my eyeballs in debt and even with my increased salary, still fall within the poor category. #BayArea #needasugardaddy #needtowinthelottery (need to PLAY)

Now to follow said plan... that's the hard part. But I can do this. I've conquered clutter in my home and now I can conquer clutter in my finances. Or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment