Monday, July 25, 2016

From the other side of purple

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Having A Fat Body As Opposed to "Being" Fat

I've always thought "I'm fat". For years and years, I was given the message that I AM FAT. Fat started to become how I identified myself."I'm fat", I would say. But wait a minute...is "fat" my whole identity? Sometimes society makes us feel as if it is. The (small but) rational part of my brain realizes, that there is a difference between "having fat" and "being fat". While I may have a fat body, I am not simply fat. I am purple, I am intelligent, curious, musical, funny (or so say my friends), and have varied interests. I am a reader, a writer, a singer, a teacher, a lover of all things purple and Italian. I am so many things. But I'm not fat. I HAVE a fat body, yes. 

Trying to erase that notion from my mind is not an easy task. I mean, with society as it is and those broken records playing over and over in my head, it's hard to quiet the noise of "I AM FAT" and hear all the other things I am.

I do admit that with my all or nothing mentality, I do feel that all people see is a fat girl and even if they don't, they should. I want to lose 60 pounds, but it isn't going to happen. At least not today.
I've gained and lost probably 3 times that over my lifetime. One things remained the entire time--I was always much more than whatever my body looked like. I wish I had known that before now.

No picture needed except whatever is in your imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment