Sunday, July 30, 2017

Anxiety

If you have anxiety, these statements will resonate with you. If you know someone with anxiety, you may understand some of them or maybe even all of them. If you don't know anything about anxiety but want to learn, here's your chance. I watched a video (linked below) which really struck a chord. I have friends who completely understand and would never say these things. I also know well-meaning people who have said these things to me and it always makes me feel bad. I never have the right response but I would like to form one. If you have any advice, please leave it in the comments.

Things that don't help a person with anxiety: (for a more complete explanation of each, please watch the video)

1. Telling us to calm down.
2. Why are you freaking out?
3. There are worse things happening in the world.
4. I know exactly how you feel. I get nervous too.
5. Everything's going to be fine.
6. You're just lazy.
7. You're just over-thinking things.
8.You can't control it, so stop worrying.
9. I wish you wouldn't worry so much.
10. Force yourself to do it and face your fears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XVUFOZ8uhU

I have one to add: You're a smart person. You know this isn't right/real/worth worrying about/helpful.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment