Sunday, July 23, 2017

My Civic Duty? (controversial)

I know it's my "civic duty" to do jury duty. However, I am highly skeptical that anyone can be unbiased --I know I can't. Also, I think it's a crock of donkey shoes to have a random group of people who may or may not understand anything about the law or the testimony, deciding someone's fate. It leads to jury nullification and/or verdicts that are delivered from emotions and not facts.
I think there should be professional jurors whose job it is to understand the law and how trials go. I think these professionals should serve on juries as trained jurors who have learned how to keep their emotions out of it and how to REALLY listen to the testimony and abide by the law of "beyond reasonable doubt". I know that I cannot do that. I have strong opinions and I am not swayed. I believe a person is guilty if he or she has committed a crime and would not be arrested for nothing. If they're arrested, it's for a reason and that means they're guilty as hell. I think crime rates would lower if people knew there were no loopholes and no technicalities to get them a veritable slap on the wrist instead of jail time. As they say, you do the crime, you do the time. 

Having friends and family in law enforcement and as lawyers, all tell me that a jury is a hindrance rather than a help. Their lack of understanding frustrates the lawyers and makes for a more difficult trial than would otherwise happen if it were just lawyers or as I said PROFESSIONAL jurors. And what the f*ck with calling in again and again? Seriously? So I have to constantly arrange my life around the time I'm assigned to call in? What the fecking sh*t is this? UGH

I always hope to beat the system, but I'm not holding my breath. Honestly, I don't think I'd make a good juror so I hope they see that and excuse me. Anxiety abounds and panic is setting in. Hopefully, I will look back on this and laugh. Until then, I'll be breathing into a paper bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment