Thursday, January 19, 2017

The End

Tomorrow marks the end of an era. Tomorrow marks the end of America as I've always known it--the place where dreams are possible, diversity is celebrated, and where it's ok to love who you love. Clearly, I was wrong about this country. I don't recognize it anymore. I hear voices I've never heard and they scream hateful things about people who are different. And by different, I mean not white and Christian. Never in my life have I felt so empty as I feel knowing that we are going to be in the hands of a monster. 

People say stay and fight like hell. I want to run. People say make your voice heard. I can't find my voice. I'm disappointed, sad, scared, and disgusted. I'm ashamed and I feel defeated. Maybe I should have seen it coming. Maybe this IS what America always was but the colors were never allowed to shine through because somehow, good people made them fade for a while. But there is no more fading, and while there are good people, there just aren't enough. We've been defeated. America is dying. Maybe it's dead already.

I hope against hope that this nightmare will end and we'll all escape unscathed. But I fear the worst. I fear torture, alienation, and the wrath of a dictator so power hungry, he cannot tell the difference between the twitter click and the bomb click. 

Hoping for the best and preparing for the worst--and I can't even fathom what the worst is going to be.




No comments:

Post a Comment