Saturday, March 12, 2016

Secrets and lies of omission

Secrets are poison. Lies whether of omission or blatant and baldfaced, create disharmony. They're bound to come out one way or another. Someone will mistakenly give the secret information out or it will just find its way through the tangled web until its ugly head is reared. Either way, secrets and lies are toxic to a relationship, a workplace, or even between two people.

I recently became aware of some information quite by accident. An innocent person asked me a question about something and after realizing I had no idea what he was talking about, I found something I was obviously not supposed to know. I wrote it off and as I did not want to "out" this person for mentioning something he did not know was taboo, I figured it would blow over and I'd forget. It wasn't real because I didn't know when it was going to happen.

Fast forward a week or two and I'm unwittingly cc'd on an email regarding this same piece of information and now it's real. Reading down the thread, I see what's happening and I'm SURE I was never supposed to know. It was a lie of omission. Something that was never supposed to be said and never supposed to be found out. Well, now I know and now it has been said. What to do?

I go through the cycle of anger, fury, depression, sadness, and get "stuck" wondering if I should simply call it out and clear the air. No, I don't want to make matters worse than they are. But... it WILL come out and it WILL be evident that I know, by no fault of my own. Will I get an explanation? An apology? Do I care? Probably not and I don't know.

Moral of this crazy story: don't lie on purpose or by omission. It's poisonous and will forever change someone's perception of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment