Sunday, November 13, 2016

True Colors

It seems that the last year and especially the last few days have shown people's true colors--mine included. I am saddened, angered, and disappointed at how so many people think it's ok to hate now. It's ok to throw around racial slurs. It's ok to treat women like property. It's ok to harass people who are not white, christian, and straight. And it's ok to insult everyone who isn't like you. Well, in my book, it's NOT OK. I am ashamed and embarrassed for our country. We are divided like never before. The people who think like I do are mourning and terrified. The people who think otherwise, are throwing insults and telling me to "grow up", "get over it", "move on", "if you don't like it, get out" and a whole host of other things. People I thought were my friends are no longer. I don't think this can be repaired. 

I'm afraid on social media. I walk outside with my head down and eyes up. I'm acutely aware of my surroundings. I look over my shoulder more often than not. I'm frightened for my friends who have even more to lose than I do. I crumble into a puddle of terrified tears. And nobody seems to care.

I want to go home but I don't even know where home is anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment