Friday, June 8, 2018

No more toxic people

Have you ever found yourself surrounded by toxic people? Some of them may be people you thought were friends. Some may be acquaintances. Some may be coworkers. Whoever they are, they drain you of energy and pull you into their misery. 

I'll tell you a secret. I think I was that friend for a long time. I was depressed, I was miserable, I wanted to talk about how life sucked, and how I couldn't find my way out of the dark. Some friends stood by me while others drifted off. 

Fast forward several years and I suddenly feel better than I ever have. I am elated and happy to be doing what I'm doing. I am finally finding joy in life. I am trying desperately to hold on to these feelings because they are so new and fresh to me. I never knew anyone could be this happy or feel this good. I am ready to have fun, share good times with friends, and suddenly everyone around me is in crisis or having some issue they can't get past. I feel for them because that was me, but at the same time, I am tired of being their therapist. I got professional help and got past my demons. I don't want to tell people what to do, but they really need some help. Sigh.

Moral of the story (or something like that)
1. If you don't like something, change it.
2. If you need help, get it.
3. Realize that trying means actively doing something to improve the situation, not just thinking it will get better soon.
4. If you want advice, take it. If you don't want advice, don't ask for it.
5. Don't bring everyone else down and then be surprised when they aren't there anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment